Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 10 - Expect the Unexpected

8 am: I woke up to the upleasant feeling of what was probably food poisoning, but there was nothing left in me to throw up. I was tired, thirsty, and just about done with being patient with myself. After much drinking of water and sticking of fingers in throat, I managed to squeeze out any remaining liquids and food particles remaining in my system. I was crying, sweaty, and breathless. After what seemed like eternity, it stopped, and I knew the vomiting was over. Nikhil got me a liter of rehydration fluid and after drinking a quarter of the bottle, I finally slept in peace.

11 am: I woke up to the pleasant feeling of knowingmy food poisoning of a thing of the past. I felt so weak. We decided not to go to Vischongo as planned and head back to Ayacucho instead. I was sick, Sucharit had a throat-coughing and nose-sniffling thing going on, and Nikhil must have been exhausted from rubbing my back as I puked, after which he would patiently clean the bin and place it by my bedside again. We all needed a day of rest.

Combis only leave when they are full - we waited an hour in the combi for that to happen. I slowly chewed on a loaf of sweet bread, but couldn´t finish it. I ate an apple to get some nutrients in my body. After two hours of a bumpy, but not unpleasant, ride, the combi stopped on a cliff in the middle of the mountains. Something was broken on the driver´s side front tire, which led the van to turn unwillingly. The driver tried to fix the problem by tying it with a piece of cloth, but that didn´t work. After forty-five minutes of being stranded, the four of us started walking toward a sunny sport on the curvy, treacherous dirty road. It was sheer luck that a huge bus was driving in our direction and responded to our outstretched arms. The bus stopped and we jumped into what was a highly crowded and uncomfortably warm vehicle. We stood in the aisle for the two hours to Ayacucho...well, I sat on a sleeping bag after thirty minutes of standing. When the bus finally pulled into the central terminal, my mind was at peace. It felt good to be home, to be in Ayachucho. It felt good to not be puking my brains out. After a dinner at Salud y Vida, we went to sleep early. If I could endure today, I can bear the twenty-two hour bus ride to Cuzco that starts at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

  1. I guess we all felt your tiredness and various small problems related to your well being. Long bus rides,not enough food and lack of timely sleep...may be few on the list. All I can say is take care, you'll. And take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better, and that doesn't happen again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about the perils of travels. Have been there and done that, but believe me, the travels always outshine the hitches.

    A word of advice - stick to fruits as much as you can. At least till the point you feel your system's ready for a shake-up. Bananas, oranges and apples usually make for a delicious combo.
    One might contend that the food and the drinks form an integral part of a journey, but at the end it's for you to chose what you want to remember from a journey.

    ReplyDelete