Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 14- A Mellow and Mild Market Day


Sucharit took off in the morning for a walk. Four hours later, he was still MIA. Nikhil and I started a walk of our own through tiny gullies and unexplored gates. We ended up in the central market of Cuzco near the San Pedro station. Thankfully, there were more locals than tourists. The market was a bustle of sounds, smells, and sights. From alpaca wool products to fruit juice stands to a meat section displaying goat heads and hanging chickens, the indoor market was every organic lover´s dream - fresh, cheap, and wholesale. We were looking at some hats when we ran into Sucharit and Kilua. Apparently, Sucharit had hiked to the top of a mountain, done yoga breathing exercises, and had run into Kilua on the way. Kilua went off to jugge, that was what he did for money. We continued to explore the mercado, drinking the fruit juice, buying fresh bread and a block of cheese (most of whihc I horded with my bare hands), and enjoying the sensory experience before us.

We were walking down the videos section when I came across a sample video on a miniature TV. Was it really Amrish Puri? Indeed, the film being shown was my not so favorite Duplicate. I saw a young girl next to me, holding a stash of pirated Bollywood DVDs in her hands. Her name was Ruth and she was obsessed with Hindi films. Obsessed. Her favorite actor was Shah Rukh Khan, but according to her Hrithik Roshan moved beautifully. When I tried explaining who Amitabh Bachan was, she quickly guessed he must be the father of Abishek Bachan. Sionce were were from the land of the Khans, she pleaded that we take a picture with her. The first one didn´t come out right with her cell phone, so after we had walked away, she approached us after ten minutes to request another one. Like I said, obsessed.

In the evening we met up with Nikolas, a tour guide for the Salkantay Trail ending in Machu Pichu. He explained in detail the five day four night trek we would start the day after tomorrow. As such, I won´t be able to update the blog for a while, at least until June 26. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Awsome!!! Hungry for the details, I read all three posts together. BTW its not JUNE but JULY. Wish you happy trailing in Machu Pichu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Salkantay Trail sounds awesome (I read about it online). They say there are no limits on permits on this one. I hope they don't wait until it's totally messed up before they do impose some limits. Enjoy the trek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that things go more smoothly when you visit Machu Picchu. I've heard that they supposedly have flavored oxygen at the summit that you can breathe to help you adjust to the higher altitude. Let us know if you try any!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assuming you meant 26th July, I guess we're due for another one? A five day four night trek sure sounds *some*thing.
    Tell Nikhil to upload more pics!
    And I must invest more time to understand the appeal SRK generates at the most unexpected of places. On second thoughts, perhaps some other time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, 26 July. It was 4 am when I was typing it, that might explain the error.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of Reenak, in Minsk and Sofia.

    ReplyDelete