Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Year Older Amongst Flowers



I couldn't have asked for a better 26th birthday. The drawback of a place like Ghangria is that our phones don't work. There's only one BSNL tower, and that too can only be accessed when you're at a specific altitude on a specific mountain. And there's no Internet. So this is my much delayed apology to those of you who tried to call me, but couldn't get through.

That being said, I couldn't have asked for a better 26th birthday. I woke up late, pleasantly surprised to find my legs not burning in excruciating pain. We trekked to the Valley of Flowers, a 4 km hike up to the mountains. To attempt a written description would hardly do justice to the serene yet gorgeous landscape that unfolded before me. From grandiose, gushing waterfalls to sweet-smelling pine to the star of the show - the flowers. I'll let Nikhil's and Ani's photographs do the talking.






The hike was challenging but far from torturous like yesterday's trek. We returned to Ghangria at 5 pm and guzzled bowlfuls of chowmein. The evening was spent uneventfully, roaming around the narrow streets and satisfying our craving for sweets. Nikhil and Ani got a quarter kilo of jalebi, while I had my fill of scrumptious, syrupy gulab jamun. Tomorrow, we go to Hemkund Sahib, the Sikh pilgrimage still higher up from Ghangria. A photograph of steeply ascending zig-zags has done its job; I'm thoroughly intimidated by what looks to be our most challenging climb yet.

3 comments:

  1. love that back-lit blue flower. seems like just now that you turned 25 in Peru! wasn't that while you were in Peru? Nice trend - birthdays in the wilderness ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it... the nature and the great outdoors- so fresh so fine! living it through you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures look so beautiful! I'm glad you are relishing the time in the valley

    ReplyDelete