Friday, October 1, 2010

Familiarity

Your All-American Neighborhood

The grocery stores seem all too familiar. The smoke-less air and horn-less streets...it's as if I never left.

Of course, being in America after eleven months in India isn't just about organized infrastructure and the 24-7 running water. It's about reconnecting with family and catching up with friends. It's about using the high-speed Internet not just to stalk Prison Break's Wentworth Miller, but reading up on the Babri Masjid High Court verdict and the Commonwealth drama unfolding in Delhi.

I took a jog/walk down the well-manicured Rockville neighborhood, eerily quiet. A group of dog-owners frisked with their canine friends in a park. Nearby, parents rooted for their adolescents, dressed in oversized football gear. It was all so...neat. So organized. A part of me misses the chaos of Delhi, the insanity that has become my reality. Silence and utopian order isn't a bad thing, it's just boring.

Nevertheless, I'm far from bored. We just spent a week in London, plan on staying in DC for three weeks, and then we're off to Austin for another three weeks. I do not know when my next time in the States will be, so I plan on taking full advantage of the pampering coming my way.

2 comments:

  1. And we are so ready to pamper you with all we got, welcome HOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Prags, we missed you and cannot wait to finally see you !!! :-)

    ReplyDelete