Friday, June 10, 2011

The Beginning of Bombay


After a one hour delay sans air conditioning in a stuffy people-filled airplane, I left the dry heat of Delhi and was greeted by the rainy coolness of Mumbai. As the humidity slapped me in the face I smiled. Loud people. Loud cars. Rain. In June. What's not to love?

The cab reached Surbhi Didi's place within the hour. I like her place for multiple reasons. For starters, she and Kumar Bhaiya are loads of fun. Additionally, the floors of her flat are white and polished, like a hotel lobby. The view from the 17th floor is amazing. During the day, a heavy mist hangs in mid-air, hiding the horizon in cloudy fuzz. Blue tarpaulin roofs, freshly washed from the monsoon, dot the housing colonies below. Scooters, cars, autorickshaws, cows...they scurry by on the slick asphalt, one pushing the other aside for that extra 2 inches of space.

Oh, and there's Taboo. Hours of it. Loud, uninhibited, highly competitive in all its word-loving glory. I love Taboo. If you love words as much as I do, I highly recommend it. It brings out the best in people, and more importantly, the worst, which is much more fun to watch. Many a night has passed with Taboo-ing till 3 or 4 in the am. It's like chocolate, but better, because it lasts as long as you want it to. Scrabble has now been pushed to second place as my favorite game of all time.

The Game of Unspeakable Fun

Alas, only a few more days of Taboo/laziness/late nights/late mornings remain. Come Monday, I will be in committed-student-mode. Until then, I refuse to participate in anything productive.


1 comment: