Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Gift of Gray


It's another day of sweet, aimless lethargy. I'm packing it safely in my memory for those days I'll be wishing for that extra minute of sleep. You know, when exams and essays and discussions and social work takes over my life. Make no mistake, that's a time I'm definitely looking forward to. But I'm going to enjoy the 48 hours I have left, including the part where I stare out the window and see nothing.

There is really nothing to see. The fog is so thick and the rain so heavy that I feel as if I am on a cloud. A big, endless, gray one that rumbles every once in a while. It's times like these when I am grateful for a home, for being dry and warm unlike the countless others who are less fortunate than I. They have no choice but to weather the storm, the heat, or whatever nature may bring their way. I am in the lap of privilege, and while that raises a lump of guilt at times, today it is just so darn satisfying.

We're watching Kung Fu Panda, an animated film about kung fu, and yes, a panda. It's hilarious and the storyline is extremely creative. There's something about a duck adopting a panda as his son that just seems so...right. My takeaway from this thrice-seen movie is a philosophy articulated by the wise turtle. He says: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why it's called the 'present'. I believe that's my new motto. Which explains my appreciation for a gray nothingness and being dry.

Wise Oogway

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, and today is like having a pastry.

    ReplyDelete