Friday, August 5, 2011

Immersion


I've heard him live three times, but each experience is as rejuvenating as the last one. It seems he lives for nothing but music and connects only with his flute. What an amazing feeling that must be, to have a singular passion driving your existence! At one moment it's a wispy hush of a melody. Suddenly, the sound becomes fiery with an energy so sublime, my mind is at a loss on what to think. He carries himself with poise and humour that belie his age. And while his fingers trembled his music never misses a beat.

If I were to close my eyes I would hear stories. An orchard by a gushing river. A lone woman swaying on a swing, waiting for her beloved. This is the romanticized rustic scene that has beset itself in my imagination after countless stories from Amar Chitra Katha. As time progresses the story changes. As time progresses, I am no longer a bystander but a participant in the saga unfolding before me.

He plays Vaishnav Jan To, a bhajan or devotional song. It isn't directed toward any particular Entity. It simply exudes the single sentiment it promises to evoke - pure, pristine devotion. The song was Gandhi's favorite, and as the flautist breathes out its tune, it quickly becomes mine. This is what it must mean to immerse. My heart is happy. No, ecstatic.

1 comment:

  1. You know what Pragya... Vaishnav Janto is my favourite bhajan too...

    ReplyDelete