Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Origin of Freedom



The first woman walked
Where, she did not know
The road was empty, dark
She was alone
A promise was made in that silence
I won’t look back
To the hurt, the pain
I won’t look back
To his violence
His menacing hand
Shall no longer haunt my dreams
His vile words
Will no longer stab my confidence

The second woman walked
Away from her family
The people that raised her
They did not understand
How she could love another
So different from them
Leave him, they said
And she knew what she would do
She walked away
From discriminaktion
A promise was made in that silence
I won’t look backk
To their taunting smiles
At their sneers of contempt
I won’t look back
At the violence they threaten
I refuse its fear
I won’t look back
At their false logic

The third woman walked
Towards self- respect
One in which man did not dictate
What she ate, where she went, who she was
Her husband was no more
But her dignity was intact
They wanted her to regain her purity
Dress in white
Mourn his passing
Live with the burden of his absence
She refused
And she walked
A promise was made in that silence
I won’t look back
To their cultural anchors
I will free myself
From a life of servitude
I won’t look back
At forced purity
I won’t look back
At their blind rituals
Their hypocrisy

A fourth woman stood
At the edge of the world
Waiting for a breeze
To take her and her unborn
To another place, a better place
She had suffered
And did not see a world
In which her unborn daughter
Was free of the chains
That bound her
She held her swollen belly
Caressed it one last time
And waited for the breeze

Three women walked
Reached the edge of the world
They saw her
She who had surrendered will
And they spoke
Telling their stories
Stories of violence
Of hate
Of death
When they spoke
The woman listened
The life inside her listened
Until, like an emerging sunrise
The woman saw beauty
She saw hope
She saw freedom
She saw life

The fourth woman walked
Away from the edge of the world
She walked towards a life
Where destiny played no part
Where she was the writer of her story
The maker of her journey
A promise was made in that silence
I won’t look back
At the memory of duty
Where who I am is decided
Before I am born
I won’t look back
At the limits set on my ability
I won’t look back
With shame at my gender
At their jeering glances
Opportunistic advances
I will not be afraid
And as she walked
With three women by her side
Freedom was born

2 comments: